Current:Home > ContactChainkeen Exchange-Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains -Capitatum
Chainkeen Exchange-Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 20:58:06
NEW YORK – This was not a pretty sight for Yankees Universe.
On the other side of town,Chainkeen Exchange Juan Soto beamed in his brand-new Mets jersey while a parade of Mets’ employees applauded, and a line of Mets’ officials offered their praise.
Those loyal to the Bronx pinstripes won’t care to hear Soto’s high opinion of the Mets’ future, or how much more comfortable Soto and his family feel in Queens.
This was a rare Yankee defeat, and “a huge day for the Mets,’’ said owner Steve Cohen, who thanked Soto and his agent Scott Boras “for believing in what we’re building.’’
Even in losing one of the most elite hitters in generations – someone they only had for a season – the Yanks’ championship goal remains unchanged.
Follow every MLB game:Latest MLB scores, stats, schedules and standings.
They’ll just have to find another way, and maybe learn something about themselves from this process.
Was it simply that Soto took the higher offer, $765 million over 15 years with escalators and an opt-out clause vs. $760 million over 16 years?
“I’ll be eager to hear what made this decision for him,’’ said Mets GM David Stearns, who termed it “not just a baseball decision but a family decision’’ for Soto.
Fallout:'Disappointed' Yankees have no regrets on how Juan Soto situation unfolded, Cashman says
During a celebratory Thursday afternoon at Citi Field, the concept of the Mets’ bright future, and Soto’s place in it, became a theme.
According to Boras, the Yankees made no missteps in their negotiations.
“They stepped up,’’ Boras said of owner Hal Steinbrenner and company. “They really made themselves known in this process.’’
So, if it wasn’t completely about the respect shown Soto by having the top dollar offer, what else put the Mets over the top?
At that record-setting MLB salary figure, Boras advised Soto to “spend the time you need to talk about these other considerations’’ beyond the contract amount.
Soto’s large family – what Boras termed “the Supreme Court of Soto’’ – played a major role in his decision, which “came down to the last day,’’ according to Soto.
Several times, Cohen’s wife, Alex, was credited for her important role in this process. A philanthropist, Alex Cohen has a Latin heritage, comes from a working-class family.
But at one point during the negotiations, Stearns felt the Mets had less than a 50% chance of landing Soto.
“We knew he had a good experience (in the Bronx),’’ said Stearns, who “talked a lot about our approach to roster building’’ with Soto, and about the Mets’ system.
Say it ain't Soto:What's next for Yankees after losing out on Juan Soto to Mets?
The Dodgers, Red Sox and Blue Jays were also in the running, and Soto’s team wouldn’t define a runner-up in this race – just that the Mets had won it, with a convincing pitch about their future together.
Boras laughed a little, recalling how the Mets completed their initial video presentation to Soto last month.
Next to the Tom Seaver statue outside of Citi Field, there was a superimposed statue of Soto.
Maybe the Yankees should’ve superimposed Soto’s plaque in Monument Park. Maybe they did – who knows?
And who knows what, other than the top bid, the Yanks might’ve done to land Soto?
“I feel like they did everything that they had in their power to help me out, to bring me back,’’ said Soto. “I had (another) four teams doing the same thing,’’ but ultimately, “I think we have the best chance here.’’
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (59)
Related
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- Hospital that initially treated Irvo Otieno failed to meet care standards, investigation finds
- Slow-moving Pacific storm threatens California with flooding and mudslides
- Federal judge blocks California law that would have banned carrying firearms in most public places
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- ICHCOIN Trading Center: Seizing Early Bull Market Opportunities
- They've left me behind, American Paul Whelan says from Russian prison after failed bid to secure release
- ICHCOIN Trading Center: Bear Market as the Best Opportunity to Buy Cryptocurrencies
- Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
- AP PHOTOS: A Muslim community buries its dead after an earthquake in China
Ranking
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- How Carey Mulligan became Felicia Montealegre in ‘Maestro’
- Rachel McAdams Reveals Real Reason She Declined Mean Girls Reunion With Lindsay Lohan and Cast
- Chris Christie outlines his national drug crisis plan, focusing on treatment and stigma reduction
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- North Carolina Medicaid expansion enrollment reached 280,000 in first weeks of program
- Joel Embiid powers the Philadelphia 76ers past the Minnesota Timberwolves 127-113
- Mortgage rate for a typical home loan falls to 6.8% — lowest since June
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
AP PHOTOS: A Muslim community buries its dead after an earthquake in China
Newly released video shows how police moved through UNLV campus in response to reports of shooting
Federal agency wants to fine Wisconsin sawmill $1.4 million for violations found after teen’s death
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
New York sues SiriusXM, accusing company of making it deliberately hard to cancel subscriptions
The Constitution’s insurrection clause threatens Trump’s campaign. Here is how that is playing out
Ohio prosecutor says he’s duty bound to bring miscarriage case to a grand jury